ISLAMABAD, February 1, 2021: The Punjab Assembly adopted four resolutions to extend as many Ordinances for a further period of 90 days, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Monday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the fourth sitting of the 28th session:
- The House met for two hours and 27 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1633 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker and Deputy Speaker were absent while a Member of Panel of Chairpersons presided over the entire sitting.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 29 MPAs (9%) were present at the outset and 17 (5%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Parliamentary leader of PPPP attended the sitting.
- Only one out of eight minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House adopted four resolutions to grant 90-day extension to as many Ordinances which were the Punjab Hotels and Restaurants (Amendment) Ordinance 2020; the Punjab Tourist Guides (Amendment) Ordinance 2020; the Punjab Panah Gah Authority Ordinance 2021 and the King Edward Medical University, Lahore (Amendment) Ordinance 2021. First two Ordinances were granted extension with effect from March 17, 2021 while the remaining two Ordinances got extension with effect from April 13 and April 14, 2021 respectively.
- The House adopted a resolution under Article 144 of the constitution to empower the Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) for regulating Ruet-e-Hilal by law.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up 15 out of 30 starred questions while the lawmakers asked 23 supplementary questions as well.
- A Call Attention Notice (CAN) and an adjournment motion were deferred on the requests of relevant ministers while a CAN was disposed of due to absence of mover.
- The House held general discussion on price control. As many as six lawmakers – PML-N (four), PTI and PPPP (one each)–participated in debate consuming 51 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- Seven lawmakers spoke on points of order for 15 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on February 2, 2021 (Tuesday) at 1400 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by SANGAT Development Foundation – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday except question hour due to lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The Senate passed four private members' bills and referred 12 bills to the relevant committees after their introduction in the House,…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab passed two government bills and referred six bills to relevant committees after their introduction in the…