ISLAMABAD, May 09, 2016: The National Assembly proceeding was disrupted by the Opposition’s protest against the absence of Prime Minister on Monday during first sitting of its 32nd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Newly elected members Muhammad Kamal of MQM and Khalid Magsi of PML-N took oath of membership. The House observed a minute of silence in memory of late Sardar Soran Singh.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 23 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1728 hours against the scheduled time 1700 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader attended the sitting for 51 minutes.
- Ten Federal Ministers attended the sitting.
- 74 MNAs (21%) were present at outset and 65 (19%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of MQM, PkMAP, JI, ANP, PML-Z, BNP-A, AMLP, JI, and QWP-S attended the sitting.
- Three minority members were present.
- The Parliamentary Secretary for Finance presented the Credit Bureaus (Amendment) Ordinance, 2016 and the Public Private Partnership Authority Bill, 2016 before the House.
- The Federal Minister for Commerce presented the State Life Insurance Corporation (Re-organization and Conversion) Ordinance, 2016 before the House.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat presented the report of the Standing Committee on the Special Economic Zones (Amendment) Bill, 2016. The House condoned the delay in the presentation of the report.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not hold the Question Hour while the Calling Attention Notices (CAN) were also not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 13 Points of Order consuming 50 minutes of the sitting.
- The lawmakers belonging to FATA staged walkout at 1823 hours to show solidarity with the FATA teachers protesting in Islamabad.
- Entire Opposition staged walkout at 1824 hours against the absence of the Prime Minister from the House and not taking it into confidence on Panama Leaks.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, April 02, 2020: Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) urges the government and opposition parties to steer the country through the most critical health…
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
124 Lawmakers Participate in the Proceedings Session Cut Short by a Week due to Concerns over Coronavirus ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The National Assembly passed bill…