ISLAMABAD, May 10, 2016: The National Assembly could not take up 60% Private Members Agenda on Tuesday due to absence of the Opposition lawmakers during the second sitting of 32nd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for three hours and eight minutes while the proceeding remained suspended for 54 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1032 hours against the scheduled time 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 84 minutes while rest of the proceeding was chaired by a member of the Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader attended the sitting for 16 minutes.
- Twelve Federal Ministers attended the sitting.
- 22 MNAs (6%) were present at outset and 16 (3%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, ANP, BNP-A, AMLP, PML-Z, PML and QWP-S attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were present.
- Moved by a JUI-F lawmaker, the House referred an Amendment to Rule 122 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business to the relevant standing committee.
- The House passed two resolutions urging the government to ensure observance of appointment quota for Balochistan in Federal Government departments and to ensure usage of quality paper in printing of Holy Quran.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Law and Justice presented the report of the Committee on the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2014.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat presented the reports of the Committee on the Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal (Amendment) Bill, 2013, the Disabled Persons (Employment and Rehabilitation) (Amendment) Bill, 2014, the Civil Servants (Amendment) Bill, 2014 and the Special Citizens Bill, 2015. A member of the same Committee presented the report on the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2014.
- Seven Private Members Bills and three Private Members Resolutions appearing on the agenda were not taken up due to absence of the movers. These bills were sponsored by Opposition lawmakers. Two motions to amend the Rules were also not taken up.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding not providing permanent jobs under the in-service death package for the Government employees.
- Six lawmakers discussed a motion under Rule 259 regarding elimination of interest from the country.
- Four other Motions and a CAN were not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised 11 Points of Order consuming 50 minutes of the sitting.
- The Opposition lawmakers left the House at 1040 and returned after four minutes on arrival of the Opposition Leader. Entire Opposition staged walkout again at 1058 hours and did not return till adjournment of the sitting.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1100 hours. The Chair suspended the proceeding at 1101 hours after the counting and it was resumed at 1155 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
124 Lawmakers Participate in the Proceedings Session Cut Short by a Week due to Concerns over Coronavirus ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The National Assembly passed bill…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular agenda on Friday and discussed the government strategy to avoid…