- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The National Assembly did not take up its scheduled business and debated the withdrawal of a motion to remove the Deputy Speaker from his office on Friday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fifth sitting of the 16th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1108 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 66 (19%) were present at the outset and 78 (23%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of GDA, BAP, MMAP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Seven out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not take up legislative business, three standing committee reports, nine periodical reports, a statutory report, and a motion of thanks.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up six out of 28 starred questions while the lawmakers asked 11 supplementary questions as well. The Chair permitted the lawmakers to raise Points of Order during the Question Hour.
- The Parliamentary Secretary for Interior and Minister for Human Rights responded to two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) highlighting the issues of marriage-registration of non-Muslims especially Christian community in Islamabad and violation of children rights.
Order and Institutionalization
- Ten lawmakers including Ministers for Defence and Parliamentary Affairs spoke on points of order (POs) consuming 27 minutes of the proceedings. These POs were related to an agreement between the government and the opposition regarding withdrawal of no-confidence motion against Deputy Speaker and of passage of ordinances.
- The session was prorogued sine die.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 21, 2020: The Sindh Assembly adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning the Pakistan Islands Development Authority Ordinance and demanded the federal…
ISLAMABAD, October 20, 2020: The absence of provincial cabinet ministers during first sitting of the 28th session of Balochistan Assembly led to the adjournment of proceedings,…
ISLAMABAD, October 20, 2020: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Tuesday amid lack of quorum and opposition’s walkout from the proceedings, observes Free and Fair…