ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2016: The National Assembly addressed most of agenda except a government bill on Wednesday during ninth sitting of 29th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1032 hours against its scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and five minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 20 minutes.
- Ten Federal Ministers attended the sitting.
- 23 MNAs (6%) were present at outset and 32 (9%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-Z, JI, ANP, QWP-S and APML were present.
- Six minority members were present.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Interior and Narcotics Control presented the report of committee on the Islamabad Capital Territory Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
- The House adopted a resolution to extend the Special Economic Zones (Amendment) Ordinance, 2015 for a further period of 120 days.
- The Assembly deferred the consideration of the National Energy Efficiency and Conservation Bill, 2015.
- Chairmen of the Standing Committees on Housing & Works, States & Frontier Regions, Defence and Commerce presented the Periodical Reports of their committees.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally responded to 12 out of 37 starred questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers asked 15 supplementary questions as well.
- The government also replied to two Calling Attention Notices regarding agenda of the meeting of the Council of Common Interests and cuts in allocation for the Public Sector Development Programme 2015-16.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 30 points of order consuming 98 minutes of the proceeding. The discussed matters related to sugarcane prices, census and Afghan delegation visiting Pakistan.
- Entire Opposition except MQM staged walkout at 1105 hours when the Deputy Speaker started presiding over the session. They returned to the House after 19 minutes.
- MQM lawmakers staged token walkout for three minutes against delay in completion of development works in Karachi. They returned to the House after three minutes.
- A PML-N lawmaker announced to walkout against non-payment of dues to sugar-cane growers of Sindh. However, he was persuaded by the Federal Minister for Inter-Provincial Coordination to stay in the House.
- A JUI-F lawmaker walked out at 1410 hours against keeping him uninformed about inaugurate of Passport Office in his constituency.
- A PML-F lawmaker walked out at 1411 hours against non-payment of dues to sugar-cane growers of Sindh.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on website of National Assembly.
To download the factsheet in Urdu, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The National Assembly left almost two-third agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and referred five legislative proposals to the relevant committees,…