ISLAMABAD, December 14, 2015: The National Assembly took up all agenda items appearing on ‘Orders of the Day’ on Monday during sixth sitting of ongoing 27th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceeding
- The National Assembly met for three hours and six minutes while also taking 26 minutes-long prayer break
- The sitting started at 1636 hours against the scheduled time of 1630 hours
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for an hour and 45 minutes while a member of the Panel of Chairperson presided over the rest of the proceeding
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting
- Eight Federal Ministers attended the sitting
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 44 minutes
- 33 MNAs (10%) were present at outset and 55 (16%) at adjournment of the sitting
- The parliamentary leaders of APML, ANP, BNP, PML-Z, AMLP and QWP-S were present
- Nine minority members were present
- The Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs laid before the House the Annual report of the National Economic Council for the financial year 2013-14.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up six out of 34 starred questions appearing on the agenda. The members asked nine supplementary questions as well.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs). The Parliamentary Secretary for Planning and Development responded to the CAN regarding regarding poor ranking of Pakistan in the Human Development Index (HDI).
- The State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs responded to the CAN regarding non-commencement of work on two 132 KV Grid stations at Samar Bagh and Lal Qila, District Lower Dir.
- Six lawmakers spoke for 81 minutes on the Motion of Thanks to the President of Pakistan.
Order and Institutionalization
- Members spoke on four points of order consuming 15 minutes of the proceeding.
- PTI lawmakers left the House when the Chair refused to allow a member belonging to the party to speak on a Point of Order. A lawmaker of the party, while leaving, pointed out the quorum which was found lacking on counting that led to the adjournment of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
To download the factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, April 20 2021: The National Assembly (NA) deferred private members’ business on Tuesday and considered a supplementary resolution seeking debate on the issue of…
ISLAMABAD, April 19, 2021: The National Assembly (NA) passed two government bills and discussed current law and order situation in the country, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, April 16, 2021: The National Assembly (NA) transacted most of its agenda and consumed 75 percent of the proceedings in points of order related…