ISLAMABAD, June 7, 2016: The National Assembly continued the general discussion on the Budget 2016-17 on Tuesday during fourth sitting of 33rd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for four hours and 26 minutes.
- The proceeding remained suspended for 20 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1107 hours against the scheduled time 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 105 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- The Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition and the Finance Minister did not attend the sitting,
- Twelve Federal Ministers were present.
- 40 MNAs (11%) were present at outset and 23 (6%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML, AMLP, JI, MQM, PML-Z and APML attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Ten lawmakers belonging to MQM, PTI, PML-N, PPPP, JI, JUI-F and AMLP took part in the general discussion on Budget 2016-17 consuming 208 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming as many minutes of the sitting.
- The proceeding remained suspended for 20 minutes due to lack of quorum pointed out by an independent lawmaker.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on National Assembly website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend the timeline of as many ordinances, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 28, 2020: The National Assembly left 98 percent of its agenda unaddressed on Wednesday due to the opposition’s protests, walkouts and quorum issue, observes…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday, condemning blasphemous caricatures as well as French President Emmanuel Macron’s hateful comments…