ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2013: Starting half an hour late, the seventh sitting of 50th session that met for an hours and 25 minutes on Monday, passed a private member bill leaving 77% agenda unaddressed.
The house unanimously passed the Capital University Islamabad Bill 2013. Additionally, the Pakistan Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2013 was introduced and sent to the relevant standing committee.
The sitting was marked by low attendance as 34 legislators (10%) were present at the start while 50 (15%) were there at the adjournment. The quorum, although visibly lacking, was not pointed out during the proceedings.
The Deputy Speaker presided over the sitting. The Prime Minister, Leader of the Opposition and the parliamentary leaders of MQM, MMAP, PMLF, PMLF, PPPS, NPP, BNPA and ANP did not attend the sitting.
An MMAP legislator walked out of the house over the killing of laborors in Passni.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 25 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1130 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1100 hours, witnessing a delay of 30 minutes.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition remained absent.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- The chief whips of PPPP, PMLN and PML were present whereas those of MQM, BNPA, ANP, MMAP, PPPS, NPP and PMLF did not attend the sitting.
- Thirty-four (10%) members were present at the outset while 50 (15%) were there at the end. A maximum of 85 (25%) members were present at one point of sitting.
- Six minority members attended the sitting.
- Five Members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- A Calling Attention Notice regarding illegal supply of explosives especially in Karachi, causing grave concern amongst the public was taken up.
- The Capital University Islamabad Bill 2013 was passed unanimously by the House.
- The Pakistan Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2013, was introduced and sent to the relevant standing committee.
- The chairman of the Standing Committee on National Regulation and Services, presented the report on the Bill to establish Pakistan Psychological Regulatory Authority (PPRA) [The Pakistan Psychological Regulatory Authority Bill 2012].
Order and Institutionalization
- Ten Points of Order consumed 20 minutes of the sitting’s time.
- An MMAP legislator staged a walkout till the end of the sitting over the killing of laborors in Passni.
- Orders of the Day was available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday except question hour due to lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…