ISLAMABAD, January 2, 2015: Starting 40 minutes behind schedule, the second sitting of the National Assembly’s 17th session witnessed continuation of the debate on the terrorist attack in Peshawar, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Only 70 lawmakers (21%) were present at the start of the sitting and 38 (11%) at the time of adjournment. The quorum was visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting. However, it was not pointed out by any of the members.
Twelve lawmakers – PML-N (four), MQM (three), JUI-F and JI (two each) and PkMAP (one) – debated the motion under Rule 259 regarding the attack in Peshawar for two hours and ten minutes.
The Prime Minister and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting. Lawmakers from FATA walked out of the House for not taking them on board in decisions about their region.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 44 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1640 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours, witnessing a delay of 44 minutes.
- The House observed a prayer break of 19 minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 54 minutes while the remaining time was chaired by a member of panel of the chairpersons.
- Deputy Speaker attended the sitting for 10 minutes.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQM and APML attended the sitting.
- Seventy members (21%) were present at the outset and 38 (11%) at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 118 members (35%) were seen at one point of the sitting.
- Five minority members attended the sitting.
- Forty-two members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Twelve lawmakers – PML-N (four), MQM (three), JUI-F and JI (two each) and PkMAP (one) – continued the debate on the motion under Rule 259 regarding the attack in Peshawar for two hours and ten minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Members spoke on two points of order for five minutes. However, none of the POs attracted the Chair’s ruling..
- Lawmakers from FATA walked out of the House at 1651 hours against delay in development projects for not taking them on board in decision about their regions. They did not return to the House till the sitting’s adjournment.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to members, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, October 18, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Monday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, October 15, 2021: The National Assembly was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and…
ISLAMABAD, October 14, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Thursday paying tributes to late nuclear scientist Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, observes Free…