ISLAMABAD, October 12, 2012: The National Assembly, which met for an hour and 25 minutes during the sixth sitting of the ongoing session, witnessed low attendance of Members. Only 92 (27%) Members were present at the outset while there were 90 (26%) at the end of the sitting
Moved by a PMLN Member, two Resolutions about Balochistan related matters and the price hike in petroleum products were adopted by the House.
Fourteen out of 27 questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant minister. Additionally, 17 Supplementary Questions were also asked.
The Prime Minister, the Speaker and the parliamentary leaders of MMAP, ANP, PML, PMLF, MQM and BNPA did not attend the sitting.
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 25 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1120 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours. The proceedings started an hour and 20 minutes late.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 29 minutes.
- Only the parliamentary leaders of the PPPS and NPP attended the sitting.
- The Chief Whips of PPPP, PMLN, MQM and ANP were present.
- Ninety-two (27%) Members were present at the outset while there were 90 (26%) at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 146 Members were present at one point of the sitting.
- Ten Minority Members attended the sitting.
- Eight Members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Two Calling Attention Notices appearing on the Orders of the Day were not taken up by the House.
- Fourteen out of 27 questions appearing on the agenda were taken up and responded to by the relevant minister. Additionally, 17 Supplementary Questions were also asked.
- The Standing Committee Report on the Drug Regulatory Agency of Pakistan Bill 2012 was presented to the House.
- Moved by a PMLN Member, two Resolutions about Balochistan related matters and the price hike in petroleum products were adopted by the House.
Order and institutionalization
- Three Points of Order consumed 10 minutes. However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a Member organization of FAFEN.
ISLAMABAD, July 30, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Friday and discussed women rights and governance related matters, observes…
ISLAMABAD, July 19, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday and was adjourned after expressing condolence over the death…
ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2021: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend as many ordinances, observes Free and Fair Election…