ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2013: Amid protests by opposition benches (PMLN) and government coalition partner (MQM), the Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University (PIMS) Islamabad Bill 2013 was passed by the National Assembly during the fourth sitting of the ongoing session, says Free and Fair Election Network.
The PML and MQM legislators staged a protest over the bill which renames the Pakistan Institute for Medical Sciences (PIMS).
A total of 62 members were present at the outset while 160 were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 172 members were present at one point of sitting.
The Prime Minister, Leader of the Opposition, Speaker, along with the parliamentary leaders of MQM, PML, ANP, MMAP, PMLF, NPP and PPPS remained absent.
The quorum visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting was pointed out by a PMLN Member, which prompted the adjournment of the sitting for 30 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 10 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1140 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1100 hours, witnessing a delay of 40 minutes.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Only the parliamentary leader of BNPA was present while those of MQM, NPP, MMAP, ANP, PML, PMLF and PPPS were absent.
- The chief whips of PPPP, PMLN, ANP and PML attended the sitting.
- Sixty-two members (18% of the total membership) were present at the outset while 160 (47%) were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 172 (50%) members were present at one point of sitting.
- Six minority members attended the sitting.
- Eight members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Moved by five PPPP Members, a Calling Attention Notice about not handing over possession of plots to allottees in Park Enclave Islamabad was taken up by the House.
- A Standing Committee Report on the Capital University of Science and Technology Bill 2012 was presented in the House.
- Amid protests by opposition benches (PMLN) and government coalition partner (MQM), the Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University (PIMS) Islamabad Bill 2013 was passed by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Points of Order were raised during the sitting.
- The main opposition party, PMLN, and government coalition partner-MQM- staged a protest over the Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University (PIMS) Islamabad Bill 2013. However, the bill was passed.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
- The quorum visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting was pointed out by a PMLN Member, which prompted the adjournment of the sitting for 30 minutes.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, September 28, 2021: The National Assembly left 97 percent agenda unaddressed on private members' day and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday except question hour due to lack of quorum, observes…