ISLAMABAD, May 4, 2012: PMLN Senators again boycotted the fourth sitting of the Senate’s 81st Session over the issue of the Prime Minister’s conviction in the contempt case as the House witnessed low attendance.
Only nine Senators were present at the start and 25 were there when the sitting, which lasted one hour and 43 minutes, was adjourned. After attending the proceedings for 40 minutes, PMLN Senators left the House and did not return.
Five Senators spoke on the President’s address to the joint session of the Parliament on March 17.
Out of the eight questions to be taken up during the Question Hour, only five were put up and responded by the relevant ministries. Additionally seven Supplementary questions were raised during the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- Senate met for an hour and 43 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1040 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours. The House proceedings started late by 40 minutes.
- The Chairman chaired the sitting. The Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House was present during the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 40 minutes.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of the PMLF, MQM, JUIF and ANP attended the sitting.
- Nine Senators (9% of total Membership) were present at the start, while 25 (24%) were present when the sitting was adjourned.
- Two Minority Members were present during the sitting.
- Six Senators were applied for leave to be absent.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Out of the eight questions to be taken up during the Question Hour, only five were put up and responded by the relevant ministries. Additionally seven Supplementary questions were raised during the sitting.
- Five-Senators spoke on Motion on the President’s address to the joint session of the Parliament on March 17.
- No Bill was appeared on the Orders of the Day.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Points of Order was raised during the sitting time.
- The sitting witnessed a walkout by PMLN legislators demanding resignation of Prime Minister after his conviction by the apex court in the contempt case.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…
ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed the Presidential Ordinance related to the Sindh and Balochistan islands and rights guaranteed to the provinces…