ISLAMABAD, May 26, 2021: The Punjab Assembly continued debate on the agriculture sector and consumed 41 percent of the proceedings’ time on points of order related to water distribution among the provinces, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Wednesday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the fourth sitting of the 32nd session:
- The House met for three hours and 14 minutes.
- The sitting started at 03:49 pm against the scheduled time of 02:00 pm.
- The speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The deputy speaker chaired the sitting for an hour and 34 minutes while the remaining sitting was presided over by a member of panel of chairpersons.
- The leaders of the House (chief minister) and the opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 48 MPAs (13 percent) were present at the outset and 23 (six percent) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- Three out of eight minority lawmakers were present.
- Three private members’ resolutions were deferred due to absence of relevant ministers.
- Two private members’ resolutions were disposed off which demanded to restore quota for students belonging to Sindh in medical colleges of Punjab and regularize the services of employees of the Child Protection Bureau.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House continued the general discussion on agriculture sector and eleven lawmakers – PML-N (seven) and PTI (four) – spoke on it for 41 minutes.
- The House took up 12 out of 39 starred questions related to Communication & Works Department. Besides, the lawmakers asked 14 supplementary questions.
- Sponsored by a PML-N lawmaker, the House admitted an adjournment motion (AM) for discussion which was about the imposition of property tax on rural land in Lahore.
- Another AM regarding deteriorated condition of a bridge in Okara was deferred due to absence of relevant minister.
- A privilege motion of PML-N lawmaker against Director Parks & Horticulture Authority (PHA) was also deferred due to the absence of relevant minister.
Order and Institutionalization
- Eight lawmakers spoke on points of order for an hour and 20 minutes which were related to distribution of water among provinces.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on Friday, May 28, 2021 at 09:00 am.
- ‘List of Business’ was available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by SANGAT Development Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly transacted entire agenda and referred two bills to the relevant committee for deliberation, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network…