ISLAMABAD, July 15, 2020: The Senate concluded debate on the Motion of Thanks expressing gratitude to the President of Pakistan for his address to both Houses assembled together on September 12, 2019, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet on Wednesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the second sitting of the 300th session:
- The Senate met for four hours and 11 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire proceedings in the absence of Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 58 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 19 lawmakers (18%) were present at the outset and 10 (9%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PPPP, JI, PkMAP and BNP-M attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers were present.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs laid the Covid-19 (Prevention of Hoarding) Ordinance, 2020.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Housed passed a motion under Rule 263 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012 and dispensed the requirement of Rule 41 regarding question hour till July 16, 2020.
- Ten lawmakers spoke for two hours and 24 minutes on the Motion of Thanks expressing deep gratitude to the President of Pakistan for his address to both Houses assembled together on September 12, 2019. The Leader of the House concluded debate on it during his 31 minutes speech.
- Six lawmakers spoke on points of public importance for 24 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Five lawmakers and the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs spoke on points of order for 22 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on July 17, 2020 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 28, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab passed three private members’ bills and as many resolutions on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, September 28, 2021: The National Assembly left 97 percent agenda unaddressed on private members' day and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…