ISLAMABAD, April 6, 2015: Marked by low attendance of lawmakers, the Senate left the entire agenda listed on the Orders of the Day unaddressed during the first sitting of the Senate’s 114th session, says the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) on Monday.
With the exception of PTI, parliamentary leaders of all parties were present while Leader of the House and the Opposition leader attended the entire sitting which continued for 30 minutes.
The sitting witnessed low attendance as 25 Senators (24%) were present at the outset and 62 (60%) were there at the adjournment.
The unaddressed agenda included the introduction of Islamabad Mandatory Vaccination and Protection of Health Workers Bill, 2015 and debate on commenced motions under rule 218 about overall position of education standards in the country at present and performance of Federal Government Hospitals.
The agenda also included discussion on five motions under rule 218 which included the import of LNG in the country, performance of the banking sector, issue of corruption in federal government departments, performance of National Highway Authority and new aviation policy especially the proposal of outsourcing major airports in the country.
The House did not take up four resolutions which were regarding steps for implementation of National Action Plan to counter terrorism, ensuring universal salt iodization to prevent impacts of iodine deficiency, preserving and developing the sacred archaeological sites in the country and development of livestock sector in Balochistan.
Four newly elected Senators from FATA also took oath.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting while Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader attended the entire sitting.
- Twenty-five Senators (24%) were present at the outset, while maximum 62 (60%) were there at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PTI did not attend the sitting.
- Three minority senators attended the sitting.
- None of the members applied for leave.
- Orders of the Day were available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and in no way reflect the views of the European Union. This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…
ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed the Presidential Ordinance related to the Sindh and Balochistan islands and rights guaranteed to the provinces…