ISLAMABAD, March 7, 2018: The Senate on Wednesday transacted its entire business and passed a bill for the protection of rights of transgender persons, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the third sitting of 274th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 39 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 20 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1533 hours against the scheduled time of 1530 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and six minutes while rests of the proceedings were presided over by a member of Panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Deputy Chairman and the Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 27 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours.
- As many as 14 (13%) lawmakers were present at the outset and six (5%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQM, PPPP, ANP and BNP-M attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers were present.
- Moved by Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed the Corporate Rehabilitation Bill, 2018.
- A private member’s bill – the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2017 – was also passed by the House. It aims to provide protection to the transgender persons and also empower them to determine their own gender identity.
- Under Rule 166 (7), a member of Standing Committee on Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit Baltistan presented report on the proposed Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) of the Ministry of Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan for the Financial Year 2018-19.
- Chairman, Special Committee to examine overall working of the Sports Federations in Pakistan presented report of the Committee on the matter of overall working of the Sports Federations in Pakistan.
- Chairman Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges presented five reports on as many issues referred to the committee.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on National Health Services, a member of the Committee presented report for the period from June 2, 2015 to February 9, 2018.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Communication presented reports on a point of public importance regarding removal of boards of important historical places during the construction of Karachi-Hyderabad Motorway (M-9) and on a starred question about construction of Bajour (Khar)-Jandola-Zhob Road.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Interior, a member of the Committee presented reports on three legislative proposals and on a matter regarding problems to people due to long queues of vehicles at Gharang check post of FC in Balochistan.
- Under Rule 172E (3), Chairman Committee on Delegated Legislation presented eighth quarterly report of the Committee.
- Following motions under Rule 196 (1), the House adopted reports of Standing Committee on Finance under Rule 196 (1) which were regarding issuance of SRO No. 47(I)/2018 on January 23, 2018 exempting a particular company from payment of Sales Tax and Federal Excise Duty and promotion policy 2016-17 of the National Bank of Pakistan..
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight outgoing Senators made farewell speeches for two hours and 29 minutes.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) regarding dilapidated condition of entry and exit roads of weekly bazaar located in H-9 Sector Islamabad and increase in the prices of petroleum products. These CANs were responded to by State Minister for Interior and Minister for SAFRON respectively.
- The Chair granted time to State Minister for Interior till tomorrow on his request to respond a point of public importance regarding the abduction of three nephews of Senator Dr. Jehanzeb Jamaldini.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
President Arif Alvi highlights indigenous movement of Kashmiris against Indian illegal occupation of the Valley ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2020: The Senate convened a special session…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 30, 2020: The Senate passed two Financial Action Task Force (FATF) related bills after incorporating amendments proposed by opposition in the…
ISLAMABAD, July 29, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and referred two Financial Action Task Force (FATF) related bills to the Standing…