ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2018: The Senate on Wednesday transacted most of its agenda and took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs), observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
PML-N Senator Nisar Muhammad announced to resign from the House. Following are key observations of the proceedings during the eighth sitting of 273rd session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 37 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1530 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for an hour and 29 minutes while rests of the proceedings were chaired by a member of Panel of Presiding Officers.
- Deputy Chairman also attended the sitting.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 14 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 11 minutes.
- As many as 10 (9%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 19 (18%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQM, PPPP, BNP-M, PkMAP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- One minority lawmaker was present.
- Chairman, Functional Committee on Government Assurances presented report on the assurance given by the Minister for Planning, Development and Reforms regarding completion of western route of CPEC by December, 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two CANs regarding delay in supply of new cars and privatization of Pakistan International Airlines and Pakistan Steel Mills.
- Minister for Energy responded on two points of public importance.
- The House took up nine out of 37 Starred Questions for answers during the Question Hour. The lawmakers asked 26 supplementary questions as well.
- The House passed two motions under Rule 194 (1) to grant extension to Standing Committee on Interior and Special Committee on the performance of PIA for presentation of their reports.
- The Chair rejected an adjournment motion regarding unspecified number of troops of Pakistan Army to be sent to Saudi Arabia as the issue had been already discussed in the House during last two days.
- Minister for Climate Change did not wind up the discussion on the admitted adjournment motion regarding Pakistan’s greenhouse emissions and its effect on the environment due to early adjournment of sitting.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PPPP lawmaker staged a token walk out of the House for two minutes against proposed privatization of Pakistan International Airlines and Pakistan Steel Mills.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 28, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Tuesday and adopted a report of the Standing Committee on Information Technology and…
ISLAMABAD, January 27, 2020: The Senate adopted five resolutions and passed two private members’ bills on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, January 24, 2020: The Senate deferred 42 percent of its regular agenda on Friday and discussed a report of the Standing Committee on Rules…