ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2017: The Senate on Thursday took up two Calling Attention Notices and discussed annual report of Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC), observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during ninth sitting of 267th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 26 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1502 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and 35 minutes while the Deputy Chairman chaired the proceedings for 51 minutes.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting an hour and 28 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 54 minutes.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Eleven members (10%) were present at the outset and 13 (12%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, JUI-F, MQM, BNP-M, PPPP, PML, ANP, PkMAP, PTI, PML-F and JI attended the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up 13 out of 17 Starred Questions for answers during the proceedings. In addition, 27 supplementary questions were asked.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) about end of job of three hundred employees due to closure of Phase-II of automation project of National Savings and outbreak of dengue in federal Capital.
- Thirteen lawmakers discussed the FPSC’s annual report for the year 2015 for an hour 35 minutes. Minister for Parliamentary Affairs concluded debate on it and spoke for five minutes.
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion regarding lack of beds for patients and other medical equipment in Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) and Federal Government Services Hospital (FGSH), Islamabad.
- The Chair did not allow debate on an admitted adjournment motion about the reported reconstitution of Council of Common interest (CCI) by the Prime Minister in violation of Constitution. The Chair in his observation termed CCI reconstitution as per as per Article 153 of the Constitution which asks issuance of notification by the President on the advice of Prime Minister.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…
ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed the Presidential Ordinance related to the Sindh and Balochistan islands and rights guaranteed to the provinces…