ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2017: The Senate on Wednesday took up the entire agenda appearing on the Orders of the Day, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 8th sitting of 267th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 22 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1502 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and 25 minutes while the rests of the proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Chairman.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 51 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 21 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-N, BNP-M, PPPP, JUI-F, PTI, PML-F, MQM, ANP and PML attended the sitting. .
- Fourteen (13% of the total membership – 104) lawmakers were present at the start and 12 (11%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Two minority legislators attended the proceedings.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion (AM) to discuss the reconstitution of Council of Common Interest and its membership notification issued by the Prime Minister rather than President.
- Another AM to discuss the incident of rape of 16-year old girl in a suburb of Multan was withdrawn by the mover. He agreed with the Chair to move a motion under Rule 218 on the subject.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) about the pending approval of 7500 sanctioned new posts for FATA and proposed installation of spying equipment on the roof of under construction eight stories building of the U.S. Embassy.
- Eleven out of 22 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, lawmakers also asked 28 Supplementary Questions.
- Ten lawmakers discussed a motion under Rule 60 for 32 minutes on a matter of public importance arising out of the answer to starred question on August 22, 2017. The Chair directed to issue notices to Secretary Aviation Division and Director General Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) on it which was regarding contradictions between the recommendations of the inquiry committee and their implementation as claimed in the reply in the case of malpractices in Aero Medical Department of CAA.
- The House passed a motion under sub-rule (1) of rule 194 to give 30-day extension to Standing Committee on Inter-Provincial Coordination for presenting report on CAN about granting of equivalence certificates to O and A level students by the Inter Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC).
Order and Institutionalization
- Seventeen Points of Public Importance were discussed for 58 minutes.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on the direct observation of Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2021: The Senate passed three government bills on Friday which were considered in the House as supplementary business amid protest…
ISLAMABAD, July 14, 2021: The Senate took up 83 percent of its agenda on Wednesday and consumed 42 percent of the proceedings in points of…
ISLAMABAD, July 13, 2021: The Senate transacted 90 percent of its agenda on Tuesday and referred a government bill to the relevant committee, observes Free…