ISLAMABAD, October 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed political situation in the country through points of public importance, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the first sitting of 304th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and nine minutes.
- The sitting started at 1053 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 54 minutes while the Opposition leader attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 23 lawmakers (22%) were present at the outset and 15 (14%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PPPP, JI, JUI-F and BNP-M attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers were present.
- Tabled by PPPP and PML-N lawmakers, the House adopted two supplementary resolutions to express sorrow over deaths of two former Senators including Syed Qurban Ali Shah and Khawaja Pir Hameed-ud-Din Sialvi.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Information and Broadcasting presented report of the Committee on a point of Public Importance regarding character assassination of PPP leaders on electronic media.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Interior, a member of the Committee presented reports of the Committee on the Islamabad Prevention of Beggary Bill, 2020 and the Anti-terrorism (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- On behalf of Chairperson Standing Committee on Parliamentary Affairs, a member of the Committee presented reports of the Committee on the Pakistan Institute for Parliamentary Services (Amendment) Bill, 2020 and on a point of Public Importance regarding future of the employees of ERRA.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Aviation presented report of the Committee on a point of Public Importance regarding imposition of different taxes on air tickets.
- On behalf of Chairperson Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination, a member of the Committee presented report of the committee on two points of public importance about mushroom growth of unauthorized private clinics and hospitals in Islamabad and ban on diploma certificate for the nurses resulting in shortage of Paramedical Staff in the country. She also presented another report on a starred question regarding vaccination of children under the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) in the country at present.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Law and Justice presented reports of the Committee on the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (Insertion of Article 253A) and the Islamabad High Court (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Planning, Development and Special Initiatives, two members of the Committee presented as many reports of the Committee on the starred questions regarding details of Industries which fall under the category of Large Scale Manufacturing (LSM) Sector and allocations made for implementation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) during the last three years.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Power presented report of the Committee on a point of Public Importance regarding exact figure of circular debt.
- The House passed considered and adopted special report of the Standing Committee on Power regarding various problems being faced by the renewable energy projects in the country and actual percentage of line losses/theft of the DISCOs.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented the Annual Reports of the Council of Common Interests (CCI) for the Financial Years 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20 and the appropriation accounts for the Financial Year 2018-19 and regularity/special/study performance audit reports of the Auditor General for the Audit Year 2019-20.
- Chairman Senate informed the House regarding substitution of Standing Order No.1.64 (g) which pertains to change in the dress code of Chamber Attendants performing duties in the House. He asked to place the amendment before the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up seven out of 14 starred questions while lawmakers also asked 15 supplementary questions.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding recent increase in the prices of medicine.
- Four lawmakers including the Leader of the House spoke on points of public importance for 42 minutes and discussed political situation in the country.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three lawmakers and Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs spoke on points of order for nine minutes.
- The Session was adjourned to meet again on October 19, 2020 (Monday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The National Assembly continued debate on the federal budget 2021-22 and consumed 95 percent of proceedings’ time on it, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan continued debate on the provincial annual budget for the financial year 2021-2022 amid absence of opposition lawmakers,…
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The Punjab Assembly adopted three resolutions and deferred question hour due to absence of relevant minister, observes Free and Fair Election…