ISLAMABAD, August 15, 2018: The 15th Provincial Assembly of Sindh elected its Speaker and Deputy Speaker on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of the second sitting of the Assembly’s first session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for five hours and 41 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1048 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Presiding Officer nominated by the Governor chaired the sitting for three hours and 15 minutes while the rest of the sitting was presided over by the newly elected Speaker.
- As many as 140 (83% of the total membership) members were present at the outset and 120 (71%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- As many as three members-elect took oath of membership.
- As many as 158 lawmakers voted in the election of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker.
Election of the Speaker and Deputy Speaker
- The House elected PPP’s Agha Siraj Ahmed Durrani and Rehana Leghari as its Speaker and the Deputy Speaker, respectively. Agha Siraj Ahmed Durrani got 96 votes against 59 votes obtained by MQMP’s candidate Javed Hanif. Rehana Leghari secured 98 votes against PTI candidate Rabia Azfar Nizamani’s 59 votes. As many as three votes were rejected in the Speaker’s election and one vote in the Deputy Speaker’s election.
- The Presiding Officer administered the oath to the Speaker-elect while the Deputy Speaker took oath from the Speaker.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as 19 lawmakers made felicitation speeches following the election of the Speaker and Deputy Speaker.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on August 16, 2018 (Thursday) at 1000 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance was recorded and available to observers and media.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and passed the Sindh Finance (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on Monday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed five government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh unanimously adopted a resolution on Wednesday to condemn blatant human rights violations in the Indian-Occupied Kashmir and…