ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh addressed 60 percent agenda and passed a government bill on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fourth sitting of the 17th session:
- The House met for two hours and five minutes.
- The sitting started at 1440 hours against the scheduled time of 1300 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of the House was absent while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for an hour and 17 minutes.
- Twenty-nine (18%) legislators were present at the start and 41 (25%) at the end of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of MMAP and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Seven out of eight minority lawmakers were present.
- Introduced by the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed the Barrett Hodgson University at Karachi (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- Chairman Special Committee on Privileges presented report on a motion of MMAP lawmaker against the Public Relations Officer, Shaheed Mohtarma Benzair Bhutto Medical College Lyari.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up four out of 11 starred questions. In addition, the lawmakers asked 15 supplementary questions.
- Sponsored by a PPPP lawmaker, the Chair admitted an adjournment motion for discussion in the House which was regarding increase in petroleum prices.
- A privilege motion of a PTI lawmaker was rejected by the Chair.
- Ministers for Parliamentary Affairs and Cooperatives responded to two Call Attention Notices (CANs) which were regarding non-payment of salaries to daily wages employees of Sindh House, Islamabad and postings of administrators of housing schemes in Karachi.
- Three CANs on the agenda were deferred due to absence of relevant ministers while one was dropped due to mover’s absence.
Order and Institutionalization
- Five lawmakers spoke on three points of order for eight minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on January 12, 2021 (Tuesday) at 1400 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceeding conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)– a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, March 1, 2021: The Punjab Assembly transacted its entire agenda on Monday and discussed matters related to law and order through points of order,…
ISLAMABAD, March 1, 2021: The National Assembly on Monday transacted around 60 percent of the agenda amid opposition's protest against extending an ordinance for more…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, March 01, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) adopted three private members’ resolutions and passed a motion to declare the…