ISLAMABAD, January 30, 2015: Sixth sitting of the 18th Sindh Assembly session had to be adjourned after just four minutes owing to absence of majority of lawmakers belonging to both the treasury and opposition benches, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The sitting started seven minutes behind the scheduled time of 1000 hours. Only three PPPP lawmakers including Minister for Education were present at the start and end of the sitting. Just four minutes into the sitting, the Speaker gave his observation on absence of treasury and opposition members and announced the adjournment of proceedings till Monday morning.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in the House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for four minutes.
- The sitting started at 1007 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting and the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting.
- Three members (2%) were present at the outset and the adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- None of the minority members was present.
- None of the members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House could not take up five calling attention notices, a privilege motion and an adjournment motion appearing on the Orders of the Day.
- No question addressed to Works & Services and Information Technology Departments could be taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- The sitting was adjourned due to lack of quorum.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the members, observers and others.
To download the document, click here
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN.
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2020: The seventh session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued sine die after addressing most of the agenda on Thursday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2020: The Sindh Assembly did not take up its regular business on Wednesday to express condolence over the demise of PPPP lawmaker Syed…
ISLAMABAD, January 8, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed three government bills on Wednesday skipping their mandatory reference to the standing committees while the…