ISLAMABAD, February 16, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh adopted two private members’ resolutions during second private members day of its ongoing 23rd session on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for four hours and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1112 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- Forty (24%) lawmakers were present at the start and 68 (41%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for three hours and 15 minutes while the remaining proceeding was presided over by a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Deputy Speaker was absent.
- The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 60 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 37 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-F and PTI were present.
- Six minority members attended the sitting.
- One member applied for leave.
- Tabled by MQM member, the House adopted a resolution regarding the upgradation of Government Poly Technic Institute, Mirpurkhas. Five members spoke on it for 22 minutes.
- A resolution regarding delay in ongoing water supply schemes for Karachi was adopted by the House with amendments in its text. The resolution was tabled by PTI lawmaker. Eleven members spoke on it for 97 minutes.
- Another three private resolutions appearing on the agenda were not taken up by the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up three out of seven starred questions appearing on the agenda. In addition, lawmakers asked 16 supplementary questions.
- An Adjournment Motion (AM) by PML-F member regarding nonfunctional RO Plants in Tharparkar was taken up by the House. Two members spoke on it for 23 minutes.
- A Privilege Motion appearing on the agenda was withdrawn by the Member after getting assurance from the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on five Points of Order consuming six minutes of the proceeding.
- The Opposition parties protested on floor of the House for three minutes against the attitude of the Chair for rejecting the amendment in resolution moved by a PTI member. The protest led to premature adjournment of the sitting.
- “Orders of the Day” was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was available to the observers and the public.
To download the factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted one-fourth of its agenda and was adjourned earlier without considering legislative business, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh witnessed introduction of two government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Thursday, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, January 25, 2021: The Sindh Assembly’s 17th session was prorogued sine die on Monday without transacting any business, observes Free and Fair Election Network…