ISLAMABAD, June 11, 2014: Six Senators expressed their views on a motion to make recommendations to National Assembly on the Finance Bill, 2014 on Wednesday during sixth sitting of 105th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the House.
Two lawmakers belonging to PPPP and one each of PML-F, JUI-F, ANP and PkMAP spoke on the federal budget 2014-15 for two hours and 53 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for three hours and 36 minutes and took a prayer break of 37 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1654 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours with a delay of 54 minutes.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire sitting as the Chairman was absent.
- Thirteen Senators were present at the outset, 26 at the adjournment while a maximum of 39 at one point during the proceedings.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PPPP, ANP, PkMAP and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Three members applied for leave.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was there for an hour and 50 minutes.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Six lawmakers, two belonging to PPPP and one each of PML-F, JUI-F, ANP and PkMAP, spoke on the Finance Bill, 2014 for two hours and 53 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- There was no incident of walkout/boycott/protest during the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization; a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted.
ISLAMABAD, May 14, 2020: The requisitioned Session of Senate was prorogued on Thursday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes the Free…
ISLAMABAD, May 12, 2020: The Senate clubbed five motions to discuss situation arising out of the coronavirus pandemic in Pakistan, the government’s response and its…
ISLAMABAD, April 02, 2020: Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) urges the government and opposition parties to steer the country through the most critical health…