ISLAMABAD, May 21, 2012: The joint sitting of the parliament met for 55 minutes, with almost 71% membership of both the Houses present. The sitting started 40 minutes late against the stipulated time of 1700 hours.
The sitting was held in the honor of the Turkish Prime Minister, who is on a three-day visit to Pakistan. The Turkish Prime Minister addressed the sitting for a total of 20 minutes. This was the Turkish Prime Minister’s second address to the joint sitting of the parliament.
The Prime Minister and the Leader of Opposition in their respective addresses expressed gratitude to the Premier for his visit to Pakistan. The Prime Minister spoke for nine minutes, while the Leader of Opposition took 10 minutes.
The parliamentary leaders of the MMAP, PML and NPP were present, while leaders of the MQM, PMLF, ANP and BNPA were absent.
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The joint sitting of the parliament met for 55 minutes.
- The joint sitting started at 1740 Hours against the scheduled starting time of 1700 hours. The House proceedings started late by 40 minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the proceedings, and gave a welcome address for seven minutes. The Deputy Speaker was also present during the sitting.
- The Prime Minister addressed the Parliament for nine minutes, while the Leader of Opposition spoke for 10 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of the MMAP, PML and NPP were present, while leaders of the MQM, PMLF, ANP and BNPA were absent.
- The Chief Whips of PPPP, PML, ANP and MQM were present during the sitting.
- A total of 316 (71% of the total) members were present from both the Houses of the Parliament. (341 National Assembly – 104 Senate).
- The Turkish Prime Minister addressed the Parliament for 20 minutes.
About FAFEN: FAFEN is a network of 30 civil society organizations working to foster democratic accountabilities in Pakistan. It is governed by Trust for Democratic Education and Accountability.
ISLAMABAD, May 17, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday condemning Israeli atrocities against the people of Palestine, says Free and Fair…
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 23, 2021: The 32nd session of the National Assembly (NA) was prorogued on Friday without transacting its agenda amid protest of…
ISLAMABAD, April 20 2021: The National Assembly (NA) deferred private members’ business on Tuesday and considered a supplementary resolution seeking debate on the issue of…