ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2014: The Balochistan Assembly witnessed introduction of two bills during the first sitting of 14th session on Wednesday, says the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
A PkMAP lawmaker introduced both the bills that include the Balochistan University of Information Technology Engineering and Management Sciences (Amendment) Bill 2014 and the Balochistan University of Engineering and Technology (Amendment) Bill 2014. Both bills were referred to the relevant committee.
The PML-N and PML members jointly staged a walkout over alleged discriminatory attitude of the government and complained they are not being taken into confidence over important decisions. A lawmaker of the National Party walked out of the House over deteriorating law and order situation in Kech.
The House offered fateha for the departed souls of a PML-N lawmaker’s mother and daughter who passed away in an accident this month.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 26 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1631 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours witnessing a delay of 31 minutes.
- Thirty-five lawmakers (54%) were present at the outset and 28 (43%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was absent.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP and NP attended the sitting.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Seven members applied for leave.
- A PkMAP lawmaker introduced two bills – the Balochistan University of Information Technology Engineering and Management Sciences (Amendment) Bill 2014 and the Balochistan University of Engineering and Technology (Amendment) Bill 2014 – which were referred to the relevant committee.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two of the three starred questions (requiring oral as well as written replies). Three supplementary questions were also asked.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised 12 points of order that consumed 23 minutes of the proceedings’ time.
- The PML-N and PML lawmakers jointly staged a walkout over alleged discriminatory attitude of the government and complained they are not being taken into confidence over important decisions.
- A National Party lawmaker walked out of the House over deteriorating law & order situation in Kech.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member Organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed law and order, increase in prices of petroleum products and challenges after drought in…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 19, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan consumed major part of the proceeding in points of order and deferred question hour…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 04, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three private members' resolutions and deferred one-third agenda due to ministerial absence, says…