ISLAMABAD, June 14, 2012: Starting 34 minutes late, the fifth sitting of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly’s 26th session, which met for four hours and seven minutes, continued debate on budget on Thursday.
Ten MPAs – three from ANP, two each from PMLN and MMA and one each from PPPS, PML and PPPP – spoke on the budget for 152 minutes (62% of sitting time). The Leader of the Opposition, the Chief Minister and the Deputy Speaker did not attend the sitting.
A total of 32 Members (26% of total membership – 124) were present at the start, while 28 (23%) were present when the sitting was adjourned. A maximum of 57 (46%) legislators were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Assembly met for four hours and seven minutes.
- The sitting started at 1734 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1700 hours. The House proceedings started late by 34 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Only the parliamentary leaders of PML and PPPS were present.
- A total of 32 Members (26% of total membership – 124) were present at the start, while 28 (23%) were present when the sitting was adjourned.
- Two minority Members were present during the sitting.
- Four Members applied for leave to be absent.
- The House took 40 minutes break.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Ten MPAs – three from ANP, two each from PMLN and MMA and one each from PPPS, PML and PPPP – spoke on the budget for 152 minutes ( 62% of sitting time).
- No other agenda appeared on the Agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- One Point Of Order was raised during the sitting.
- A female PML Member staged a four-minute walkout after exchanging harsh words with a PMLN Member, who also walked out for two minutes over the speech of MMAP legislator on the case of Chief Justice’s son.
- List of Business was available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- Copies of the budget speech were available to the legislators.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN Alumni Trust, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, January 14, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills concerning the vagrancy and protection of women against harassment at workplaces…
ISLAMABAD, January 13, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills on Monday providing for setting up and regulating the tourist facilities,…
ISLAMABAD, January 10, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) left half of its agenda unaddressed on Friday and passed the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Civil Administration…