ISLAMABAD, May 19, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly adopted three resolutions appearing on its List of Business, in the absence of the Speaker, Chief Minister and Leader of the Opposition on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fourth sitting of the Assembly’s 40th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 50 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1555 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- A member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired entire sitting while the Speaker was absent.
- The post of Deputy Speaker is lying vacant.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the opposition did not attend the proceedings.
- Twenty lawmakers (31%) were present at the outset and 19 (29%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, NP, PkMAP and PML were present.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Five members applied for leave.
- Moved by JUI-F lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution demanding the Federal Government to provide Hajj opportunity to unsuccessful applicants of Balochistan as well. Two lawmakers spoke on the subject for eight minutes.
- Tabled by another JUI-F lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution recommending the government to construct flyover on Askari Park Airport Road.
- The House also adopted a resolution to condemn border violations by Afghan Forces at Chaman. Five lawmakers expressed their views on it for 37 minutes.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The relevant ministers made statements on four Call Attention Notices regarding youth welfare, teachers’ promotions, regularization of ad-hoc government employees and perks of civil servants.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on eight Points of Order consuming 12 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan left its entire agenda unaddressed and discussed law and order situation in the province, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, February 13, 2020: The requisitioned session of the Balochistan Assembly was prorogued sine die on Thursday after addressing entire agenda, says Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, February 12, 2020: The requisitioned session of the Balochistan Assembly was adjourned without addressing most of the agenda due to lack of quorum on Wednesday,…