- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, February 1, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of the Balochistan failed to take up any of the questions appearing on its agenda as the relevant minister did not show up for sitting on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceeding during fifth (last) sitting of the seventh session:
- The House met for two hours and eight minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 53 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present in the proceeding.
- The Leader of the House was not present.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 14 MPAs (22%) were present at the outset while 22 (34%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BNP, PkMAP, ANP, MMA and HDP attended the proceeding.
- All three minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House adopted a resolution to regularize the services of 786 teachers of the Community schools in the province. The resolution was moved by MMA lawmaker who also spoke on it for seven minutes.
Representation and Responsiveness
- None of the thirteen starred questions were take up due to absence of Provincial Minister for Health.
- The House did not start general debate on energy crisis in the province, unemployment and establishment of medical colleges in Khuzdar, Kech and Lora Lai due to absence of Chief Minister.
- The House did not discuss two Adjournment Motions appearing on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as 11 lawmakers raised Points of Order consuming 48 minutes of the proceeding.
- The proceeding remained suspended for 53 minutes as the lawmakers refused to start general debate on pending issues in the absence of Chief Minister.
- The Session was prorogued sine die.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, August 10, 2020: The National Assembly (NA) did not consider legislative agenda appearing on `Orders of the Day’ and adopted two resolutions to extend…
ISLAMABAD, August 7, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly did not take up any question related to Home and Livestock Departments due to absence of relevant ministers,…
ISLAMABAD, August 7, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the demise of PML-N lawmaker Syed Iftikhar ul…