ISLAMABAD, January 21, 2013: The first sitting of the 39th session of the Balochistan Assembly, requisitioned by 18 members, was marked by low attendance.
At the start of the sitting 12 members were present and 13 when it was adjourned. A maximum of 14 members were present at one time during the sitting. The sitting which met for two hours and 15 minutes, debated a motion on the recommendations of the Council of Islamic Ideology.
The Speaker chaired the sitting. The Deputy Speaker was also present. The Leader of the Opposition was absent. Only the parliamentary leader of JUIF attended the sitting.
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for two hours and fifteen minutes.
- The sitting started at 1715 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1600 hours. The proceedings started an hour and 15 minutes late.
- Both the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker were present in the entire sitting.
- Only the parliamentary leader of JUIF attended the sitting.
- Twelve members were present at the outset while 13 members were sighted at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 14 members were present at one time during the sitting.
- A 30-minute prayers and tea break was observed.
- One minority member attended the sitting.
- None of the members applied for leave.
- The House discussed the recommendations of the Council of Islamic Ideology.
Order and institutionalization
- Two points of order consumed less than a minute.
- There were no protests, walkouts or boycotts during the session.
- Orders of the day were not available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan discussed the government strategy to avoid the spread of Coronavirus in Pakistan and adopted a resolution…
ISLAMABAD, February 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan took up entire Private Members' agenda and adopted four resolutions on Friday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, February 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan left its entire agenda unaddressed and discussed law and order situation in the province, observes Free…