ISLAMABAD, October 9, 2013: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly observed low attendance of members during the third sitting of sixth session on Wednesday.
Nineteen legislators were present at the start and 35 at the end of the sitting. A JUI-F legislator pointed out lack of quorum as the proceedings were suspended for two minutes. The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting. Only the parliamentary leader of JUI-F attended the sitting. As the law minister was not present, the 12 reports of the Council of Islamic Ideology on the agenda were not laid before the House.
The House took up two calling attention notices on the agenda moved by the legislators of PTI and JIP. The notices were on the non-availability of anti-hepatitis vaccine and employee’s increment ordered by Federal Services Tribunal and the Supreme Court.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly met for two hours and 21 minutes. The House took two prayer breaks consuming an hour.
- The proceedings witnessed a delay of an hour and five minutes and started at 1605 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1500 hours.
- Nineteen members were present at the outset and 35 were there at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 43 members were present at one point of thesitting.
- A JUI-F Member pointed out quorum and the proceedings were suspended for two minutes.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting as Speaker is on the leave for Hajj.
- Only the parliamentary leader of JUI-F attended the sitting.
- The Chief Minister andthe Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Ten members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- There were no questions on the agenda.
- Two calling attention notices moved by the legislators of PTI and JIP on the agenda were taken up. These were about the non-availability of anti-hepatitis vaccine in PK-II, Peshawar and increment orders of employees by Federal Services Tribunal and the Supreme Court. Another calling attention notice on the agenda was withdrawn.
- A JIP legislator submitted a privilege motion against the Division Forest Manager, Dir, over his misbehavior.
- Twelve reports of Council of Islamic Ideology on the agenda were not laid before the House as the Minister for Law was absent.
Order and Institutionalization
- A legislator spoke on one point of order consuming four minutes of the proceedings.
- There were no incidents of protests, boycotts and walkouts.
- The List of Business (agenda) was available to the legislators, observersandothers.
- Information of members’ attendance was available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of KP Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly continued debate on the provincial budget 2021-22 on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2021: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly opened debate on the provincial budget 2021-22 with the speech of leader of the opposition on…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) on Friday witnessed the presentation of annual budget for the financial Year 2021-2022 and the supplementary…