ISLAMABAD, November 27, 2015: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly (KP) continued debating an adjournment motion on rehabilitation efforts in earthquake-hit areas while left 83% of its agenda unaddressed on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its daily factsheet.
The House adopted two resolutions while two bills and as many Calling Attention Notices (CANs) on the agenda were not taken up.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceeding
- The KP Assembly met for an hour and 44 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1521 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The sitting was chaired by the Speaker.
- The post of Deputy Speaker continues to be vacant since October 15, 2014.
- The House had a prayer break for 16 minutes.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Thirty-two lawmakers (26%) were present at the start and 35 (28%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, ANP, PPPP and PML-N were present.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- The House adopted two resolutions urging the government to abolish quota of private Hajj tour operators and regularize ad-hoc teaching faculty in medical colleges of the province.
- Two bills – the KP Partnership (Amendment) Bill, 2015 and the KP Local Government (Sixth Amendment) Bill, 2015 – were not considered by the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not hold the Question Hour and two CANs were also not taken up.
- The House debated an adjournment motion about rehabilitation efforts in the earthquake-hit areas. Five lawmakers – two belonging to PTI and one each to PPPP, PML-N and JUI-F – discussed the motion for 41 minutes.
- Seven lawmakers – two belonging to JUI-F and one each to PTI, ANP, PML-N, QWP and JI – discussed the law and order for 21 minutes. They condemned terrorist attack on convoy of Federal Minister for Housing and Works in Bannu.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two Points of Order consumed eight minutes of the sitting.
- ‘List of Business’ was available to all members.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
To download factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceedings conducted by Untied Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 14, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills concerning the vagrancy and protection of women against harassment at workplaces…
ISLAMABAD, January 13, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills on Monday providing for setting up and regulating the tourist facilities,…
ISLAMABAD, January 10, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) left half of its agenda unaddressed on Friday and passed the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Civil Administration…