ISLAMABAD, August 28, 2015: Starting 74 minutes behind the schedule, the Punjab Assembly continued to witness low attendance as only 29 legislators (8%) were present at the start and 80 (22%) at the adjournment of the third sitting of the ongoing 16th session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its daily factsheet.
The quorum was visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting, however it was not pointed out by any of the lawmakers in the House. The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting. In addition, only PPPP’s parliamentary leader was present.
Tabled by a PML-N lawmaker, the House unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn the statement of former diplomat, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, which criticized the decision of declaring Ahmadis a minority in Pakistan.
Introduced by the Provincial Minister for Law, the House passed the Punjab Institute of Quran and Seerat Studies (Amendment) Bill 2015.
Following are some of the key observations:
Members’ Participation in the House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 38 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1014 hours against the scheduled time of 0900 hours.
- Twenty-nine members (8%) were present at the start and 80 (22%) at the time of adjournment of the sitting.
- Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting.
- Only PPPP’s parliamentary leader attended the sitting.
- Three out of eight minority members attended the proceedings.
- Tabled by a PML-N lawmaker, the House unanimously adopted resolution to condemn the statement of former diplomat, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, which criticized the decision of declaring Ahmadis a minority in Pakistan.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four out of 20 starred questions were taken up and responded to by the relevant government departments. In addition, the lawmakers raised 11 supplementary questions.
- A PML-N lawmaker’s privilege motion was taken up and referred to the relevant committee which was regarding misbehavior of Secretary Schools, Punjab.
- The House took two Adjournment Motions (AMs) regarding canal breach in Rajanpur and sale of unhygienic meat in Kasur.
- An AM regarding alleged financial scam in the construction of accommodations for Lady Health Visitors in Sahiwal was kept pending.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers raised 17 points of order which consumed 15 minutes of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to legislators, observers and others.
To download the factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 8, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab adopted three on agenda and two supplementary resolutions, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…
ISLAMABAD, September 7, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab discussed law and order situation in the province and urged the provincial government to take measures to…
ISLAMABAD, September 4, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of the Punjab on Friday adopted a private member’s supplementary resolution urging the provincial government to clean water drain…