ISLAMABAD, March 18, 2016: The National Assembly transacted its entire business except a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) on Friday during 5th sitting of its ongoing 30th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 21 minutes.
- The sitting started three minutes behind the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 112 minutes while the rest of proceeding was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Ten Federal Ministers were present.
- 26 legislators (7%) were present at the outset and 25 (6%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-F, PkMAP, ANP, PML-Z and QWP were present.
- Seven minority members were present.
- Ten members applied for leave.
- Minister of State for Federal Education and Professional Training introduced the Sir Syed (Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering) Institute of Technology, Islamabad Bill, 2016.
- Minister for Climate Change and Human Rights on behalf of Minister for Finance introduced the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology Bill, 2016.
- Minister for Finance introduced the Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Bill, 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally replied to five out of 39 starred questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers asked 12 supplementary questions as well.
- The government responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) jointly sponsored by PPPP lawmakers regarding non-provision of subsidy on the essential commodities at the utility stores. Another CAN regarding non-availability of life saving drugs in the country was not taken up.
- Moved by Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, the House approved a motion seeking permission for consideration of the Pakistan International Airlines Corporation (Conversion) Bill, 2016 in the upcoming Joint Sitting of the House on Monday.
- Another motion moved by Minister for Parliamentary Affairs on Supplementary Agenda regarding election to Senate vacant seat from Islamabad was approved by the House.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research presented the Periodical Report of the Committee while another standing committee report on the Foreign Exchange Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2014 was presented by a member belonging to the government on behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization.
- A PML-N member moved a motion seeking extension in the presentation time of the standing committee report on behalf of Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization, which was approved by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 20 Points of Order consuming 59 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
To download this factsheet in Urdu, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2020: The 21st Session of National Assembly was prorogued on Friday after concluding debate on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 13, 2020: The members of both sides of the aisle in National Assembly continued discussion on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 11, 2020: The National Assembly on Monday met after a gap of around two months to discuss the situation arising out of the…