ISLAMABAD, October 1, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up agenda on Friday and was prorogued after walkout of the opposition against hike in prices of petroleum products, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 9th sitting of the 36th session:
- The National Assembly met for 38 minutes.
- The sitting started at 11:29 am against the scheduled time of 11:00 am.
- The deputy speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of speaker.
- The leaders of the house (Prime Minister) and the opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 76 (22 percent) lawmakers were present at the outset and 49 (14 percent) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Four minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not consider eight reports of standing committees on as many legislative proposals.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House did not consider three motions for consideration of as many bills in the joint sitting of the Parliament.
- Two calling attention notices on the agenda also remained unaddressed while a motion of thanks to President was not discussed.
- The House took up three starred questions while the lawmakers asked five supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three lawmakers including Minister of state for parliamentary affairs spoke on points of order for four minutes.
- The opposition announced walkout from the House against hike in prices of petroleum products at 12:06 pm following which the Chair announced to prorogue the session.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted 83 percent agenda on Monday in the absence of leaders of the House…
ISLAMABAD, October 18, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Monday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…