ISLAMABAD, August 6, 2019: The Majlis-e-Shoora discussed a motion about illegal and coercive attempt by India to alter the disputed Status of Indian Held Kashmir (IHK) through repeal and revocation of Articles 370 and 35A of its Constitution, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Tuesday.
Key observations of the proceedings during first sitting of the third Joint Session of Parliament include the following:
- The Majlis-e-Shoora met for six hours and 25 minutes; however, the proceeding remained suspended for four hours and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1139 hours against its scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker of the National Assembly presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly, the Chairman and the Deputy Chairman of Senate attended the sitting.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) attended the sitting for an hour and 22 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly was present for two hours and three minutes.
- The Leaders of the House and Opposition in Senate were also present.
- As many as 191 Parliamentarians (43% of the total membership of Parliament-446) were present at outset and 303 (68%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, PkMAP, PPPP, JUI-F and NP in the Senate were present.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML, GDA, BAP, AMLP, MQM, MMAP and PPPP in National Assembly were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister for Parliamentary Affairs moved a motion to discuss the illegal and coercive attempt by India to alter the disputed Status of IHK through repeal and revocation of Articles 370 and 35A of its Constitution and the recent surge in unprovoked firing and shelling on unarmed civilian population across the Line of Control, use of cluster bombs by Indian forces in Azad Jammu and Kashmir and deployment of additional troops in IHK.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) gave a policy statement on it for 36 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition and PPPP Parliamentary Leader spoke on it for 42 and 22 minutes respectively.
Order and Institutionalization
- Five lawmakers spoke on points of order for nine minutes which were related to the draft of the motion.
- The Joint Sitting of the Majlis-e-Shoora was adjourned to meet again on August 7, 2019 (Wednesday) at 1100 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Parliament proceedings, conducted by the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, October 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted 83 percent agenda on Monday in the absence of leaders of the House…
ISLAMABAD, October 18, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Monday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…