ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings in points of public importance, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the 5th sitting of 304th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 27 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the proceedings for two hours and five minutes while remaining sitting was chaired by a member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Opposition Leader was present for an hour and 57 minutes.
- As many as 15 lawmakers (14%) were present at the outset and 10 (9%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, MQM and JUI-F attended the sitting.
- One minority lawmaker was present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up five out of 15 starred questions while lawmakers also asked ten supplementary questions.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) about unregistered pharmacies and medical stores in the country being run without properly qualified and licensed pharmacists.
- Another CAN on the agenda was deferred on the request of relevant minister. It was about China Pakistan Economic Corridor Authority Ordinance, 2019 which is still holding the field.
- Eight lawmakers including Leader of the House spoke on points of public importance for 51 minutes (34 percent of the proceedings’ time).
Order and Institutionalization
- The entire opposition staged a token walkout against non-laying of Ordinances in the Parliament in violation of the Constitution.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 26, 2020 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, December 2, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) adopted a resolution and witnessed the introduction of two government bills on Wednesday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, November 30, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan met for only four minutes on Monday as the Speaker adjourned the sitting due to low…
ISLAMABAD, November 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly on Friday adopted five private members’ resolutions and discussed an adjournment motion related to murder of a political…