ISLAMABAD, June 23, 2014: The Punjab Assembly approved 42 Demands for Grants in the seventh sitting of the its 9th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the House.
A total of 43 Demands for Grants were approved. There were 42 Demands for Grants approved in present sitting while one Demand for Grant was approved in the previous sitting. Five PTI and one PPPP members took part in the debate on three cut motions.
Six cut motions were raised by the opposition. One related to police was rejected by the house in the previous sitting while three – against the Demand for Grants for Health Services, Ministries for Education, Agriculture– were rejected by the House in the present sitting. Two other cut motions were disallowed by the Speaker.
Starting an hour and 23 minutes late, the sitting lasted two hours and 12 minutes. The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 46 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 12 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1623 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours, witnessing a delay of an hour and 23 minutes.
- There were 30 members at the outset and 126 at the adjournment of sitting. A maximum of 143 members were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the proceedings while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 46 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and PML-Z attended the sitting.
- Four minority members were present.
- None of the member applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Six cut motions were raised by the opposition. One related to police was rejected in the previous sitting while three – against the Demand for Grants for Health Services, Ministries for Education, Agriculture– were rejected by the House in the present sitting. Two other cut motions were disallowed by the Speaker due to shortage of time.
- The House approved 42 Demands for Grants in the present sitting.
- An adjournment motion of PML lawmaker was disposed of.
Order and Institutionalization
- MPAs raised six points of order which consumed 20 minutes of the sitting.
- The Chair gave the ruling directing the concerned department to facilitate lawmakers in the prevailing security scenario to attend sitting of the house.
- ‘Orders of the day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
To download this document, click here
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization, a member organization of FAFEN
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
77% Lawmakers Remain Inactive during Session ISLAMABAD, March 14, 2020: The Punjab Assembly left 68 percent of its scheduled business unaddressed during its 20th session…
ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued sine die on Friday without holding a scheduled discussion on the Orange Line Metro,…