ISLAMABAD, July 26, 2013: Four bills, including the Punjab Local Government Bill 2013, were introduced in the second sitting of the third Punjab Assembly session before it was adjourned on Friday.
The other bills were: the Muhammad Nawaz Sharif University of Agriculture Multan Bill 2013, the Punjab Boilers and Pressure Vessels (Amendment) Bill 2013 and the Punjab Animals Slaughter Control (Amendment) Bill 2013. The Punjab Police Order (Amendment) Ordinance 2013 was also laid before the House.
A total of 145 members were present at the start of the sitting and 158 at the end of the proceedings.
A Motion under Rule 240 to declare the Punjab Assembly as polling station for the Presidential elections was tabled. The House unanimously adopted a joint resolution to pay tribute to Dr. Malik Aftab Joiya, Special Secretary of Punjab Assembly, who passed away on Thursday.
The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for one hour and 10 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for one hour and 40 minutes.
- A total of 145 members were present at the start of the sitting and 158 at the end of the proceedings.
- At one point, a maximum of 167 members were present in the House.
- The sitting started at 1100 hours against the scheduled starting time of 0900 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Speaker and Chief Minister were absent while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for one hour and 10 minutes.
- The Parliamentary Leader of Jamaat-e-Islami was present.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- None of the members applied for leave.
Output, Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine starred questions were taken up against 18 questions scheduled on the orders of the day. Relevant minister responded to all questions. Additionally, 20 supplementary questions were asked.
- A Motion under Rule 240 relating to use of Punjab Assembly as polling station for the upcoming Presidential elections was tabled in the House.
- The only resolution tabled in the House paid tribute to Special Secretary Dr. Malik Aftab Joiya who passed away on Thursday. The resolution was adopted unanimously.
- The Law Minister of Punjab tabled four bills in the House. These bills were the Punjab Local Government Bill 2013, Muhammad Nawaz Sharif University of Agriculture Multan Bill 2013, the Punjab Boilers and Pressure Vessels (Amendment) Bill 2013 and the Punjab Animals Slaughter Control (Amendment) Bill 2013.
- The Punjab Police Order (Amendment) Ordinance 2013 was also laid in the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- MPAs raised 15 Points of Orders consuming 10 minutes of the proceedings.
- No incident of protest/ walkout/ boycott was observed.
- The MPAs attendance was recorded.
- The attendance record was unavailable to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization, a member organization of FAFEN
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
77% Lawmakers Remain Inactive during Session ISLAMABAD, March 14, 2020: The Punjab Assembly left 68 percent of its scheduled business unaddressed during its 20th session…