ISLAMABAD, August 15, 2013: The Punjab Assembly on Thursday witnessed the passage of the Punjab Service Tribunals (Amendment) Bill 2013 along with the introduction of seven more bills in the third sitting of its fourth session.
All bills on the List of Business were moved by the Minister for law.
A resolution tabled by a JI MPA was unanimously adopted to “condemn the show of force by Egyptian army to derail the democratic government”.
The Speaker chaired the two hour and 15 minute sitting. The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting. Parliamentary leaders of PPPP and JI attended the sitting while the PML leader was absent.
The Special Committee No. 1 laid its report on the Punjab Boilers and Pressure Vessels (Amendment) Bill 2013. Similarly the Special Committee No. 2 constituted on Punjab local government system was given an extension of two weeks to deliver its report on the local government bill.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1550 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1500 hours witnessing a delay of 50 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting.
- A total of 56 Members were present at the beginning, 77 at the end and a maximum 129 at a point during the sitting.
- The PPPP and JI parliamentary leaders were present while the PML leader was absent.
- The relevant Minister for the question hour was present.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Two minority Members were present.
- None of the Members applied for leave.
- The House passed the Punjab Service Tribunals (Amendment) Bill 2013.
- Seven bills – the Punjab Commission on the Status Of Women Bill 2013, the Punjab Payment Of Wages (Amendment) Bill 2013, the Employees’ Cost of Living (Relief) (Amendment) Bill 2013, the Punjab Minimum Wages for Unskilled Workers (Amendment) Bill 2013, the Punjab Shops and Establishments (Amendment) Bill 2013, the Punjab Workmen’s Compensation (Amendment) Bill 2013, and the Punjab Weights & Measures (International System) Enforcement (Amendment) Bill 2013 – were introduced during the sitting.
- A resolution by a JI MPA was unanimously adopted. It condemned the “show of force by Egyptian army to derail the democratic government, the removal of Dr Muhammad Morsi and the killing of protesters in Egypt”.
- The Special Committee (number one) laid a report on the Punjab Boilers and Pressure Vessels (Amendment) Bill 2013.
- The Special Committee (number two) constituted on the Punjab local government system was given a requested extension of two weeks to deliver its report on the local government bill.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eleven of twelve starred questions on the agenda were taken up and received answers on the floor. Additionally, MPAs asked 21 supplementary questions.
- A JI MPA moved two Adjournment Motions to notify one wheeling on various roads in Lahore killing 11 youngsters and injuring more than hundred, and the rise of hepatitis in the province at an alarming rate. Similarly, the latter issue, damaged vaccinations due to out of order cold rooms and 1.7 million new vehicles without number plates in the province was highlighted by a PMLN MPA on three Adjournment Motions. It took ten minutes to move the motions.
- A calling attention notice regarding a dacoity in Lahore was brought on the floor by a PPPP MPA. The Minister for Law responded to the notice.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on four Points of Order consuming 10 minutes of the proceeding.
- The Assembly documented the Members’ attendance.
- Information on Members’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN, a member organization of FAFEN
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 13, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of its agenda unaddressed on Friday due to confrontation between treasury and…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The Punjab Assembly deferred six private members’ resolutions and three legislative proposals on Thursday, observes Fee and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left its entire agenda unaddressed on Monday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…