ISLAMABAD, February 16, 2015: The Punjab Assembly sitting was suspended for nearly one hour due to lack of quorum on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The sitting started 37 minutes behind the schedule with 28 (8%) members present at the start and 52 (14%) at the time of adjournment. An independent lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1555 hours, following which the Deputy Speaker ordered the bells to be rung for five minutes. However, the quorum was found incomplete upon counting, which led to the sitting’s suspension till 1656 hours.
The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting. Among parliamentary leaders, only the JI and PPPP leaders were present.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in the House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for three hours and 32 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1537 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The House observed a prayer break for 22 minutes.
- The sitting remained suspended for 61 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- 28 members (8%) were present at the start and 52 (14%) at the end of the sitting.
- A maximum of 98 members (27%) were present at one point of the sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader were absent.
- Among parliamentary leaders, only the JI and PPPP leaders were present.
- Three out of eight minority members attended the sitting.
- No member applied for leave.
- The Finance Minister presented nine reports related to various departments during the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two calling attention notices (CANs) regarding a robbery in Gujrat and killing of two persons in Sargodha.
- Eight out of 23 starred questions were taken up during the sitting. In addition, the MPAs raised 15 supplementary questions.
- A Question of Privilege raised by a PML-N lawmaker against District Coordination Officer Narowal was taken up and referred to the relevant standing committee.
- An adjournment motion moved by two PML members regarding improper security arrangements at bus stands in Lahore was also taken up during the sitting.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised 16 points of order that consumed seven minutes of the proceedings.
- An independent lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1555 hours, following which the sitting was suspended for 61 minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to legislators, observers and others.
To download the document, click here
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 13, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of its agenda unaddressed on Friday due to confrontation between treasury and…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The Punjab Assembly deferred six private members’ resolutions and three legislative proposals on Thursday, observes Fee and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left its entire agenda unaddressed on Monday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…