ISLAMABAD, July 25, 2016: The Senate adopted three resolutions and witnessed introduction of two bills during 6th sitting of its 250th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House business:
- The Senate met for two hours and 57 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1630 hours.
- The Chairman chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 61 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 48 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PPPP, MQM, PTI, PML-N, BNP-M, ANP, JI and NP attended the sitting.
- Eighteen members (17% of the total membership -104) were present at the outset and 26 members (25%) at the end of the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The Senate adopted three resolutions i.e. to control child begging in Islamabad; provide quality health services in Federal Government Hospitals and prepare a National Safety Plan and National Transport Policy for National Highways and Motorway.
- Two other resolutions on the agenda were deferred on the request of JI lawmaker who sponsored them. These resolutions were about formulating policy to get rid of foreign loans and ensuring provision of benefits of the Local Government system to masses in Islamabad.
- The House witnessed presentation of two Private Members’ bills including the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (Substitution of Article 28) and the Premarital Blood Screening (Family Laws Amendment) Bill, 2016. Both bills were referred to the relevant committees for further deliberations.
- Another bill for amendment in Article 218 of the Constitution was withdrawn by the mover as the Parliament has already approved 22nd Amendment in the Constitution for composition of Election Commission of Pakistan.
- The Chair gave a ruling about delay in tabling the National Command Authority (Amendment) Ordinance 2016 in the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Chair deferred a motion under Rule 218 regarding present position of development work of Bakrial city meant for 2005 earthquake affectees of Balakot. The same issue is pending with the relevant committee and the Chair decided to defer it till presentation of the report.
- A motion about non-vacation of government quarters by the Estate Office Islamabad from the unauthorized occupants was discussed.The mover and the State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs spoke on it for five minutes.
- Another motion about the situation arising out of constantly lowering water table in the country was deferred.
- The House discussed a motion for provision of adequate salary, fringe benefits and other facilities to the Islamabad Police personnel. Ten lawmakers spoke on it for 52 minutes while State Minister for Interior expressed his views on it for nine minutes.
- A JUI-F lawmaker’s privilege motion against DCO Gwadar was admitted and forwarded to relevant committee.
Order and Institutionalization
- Five Points of Public Importance consumed 14 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…
ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed the Presidential Ordinance related to the Sindh and Balochistan islands and rights guaranteed to the provinces…