ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The Upper House held 58 sittings during 11 sessions (298th – 308th) in 18th Parliamentary Year started on March 12, 2020.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the third and last sitting of 308th session:
- The Senate met for an hour and six minutes.
- The sitting started at scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The entire sitting was chaired by Members of Panel of Presiding Officers in the absence of Chairman and Deputy Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 15 Senators (14 %) were present at the outset and 22 (21 %) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQMP, JUI-F and JI attended the sitting.
- Two out of four minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Four reports each of Standing Committees on Industries and Production and Information and Technology while one each of Standing Committees on States and Frontier Regions, Railways and Information and Broadcasting were presented in the House.
- A report of the tenure of Deputy Chairman Senate for the period from 2018-2021 was presented in the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four outgoing lawmakers delivered farewell speeches consuming 51 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- The Session was prorogued sine die.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of Senators was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, May 17, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday condemning Israeli atrocities against the people of Palestine, says Free and Fair…
Calls for a broader public debate and political discourse on the meaningful electoral reforms to enhance representation and inclusivity ISLAMABAD, May 11, 2021: The Free…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and concluded pre-budget discussion, observes Free and Fair Election Network…