Opposition walked out from the House against imposition of Article 245
ISLAMABAD, August 8, 2014: The Senate on Friday suspended the agenda and unanimously adopted a resolution against the Israeli aggression in Gaza, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The resolution was moved by the Parliamentary Leader of Pakistan People’s Party Parliamentarians (PPPP). Nine members took part in the debate and condemned the Israeli aggression against the innocent Palestinians. The PML-N members spoke for 15 minutes, while PPPP took nine, MQM eight, BNP five, ANP four, PkMAP three, PML three and Independent member four minutes.
The opposition parties walked out from the House against imposition of Article 245 in Islamabad Capital Territory.
Chairman Senate Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs presented a report of the committee. ANP lawmaker moved a privilege motion against the staff of the Cantonment Board which was referred to the House committee.
The House offered fateha for the departed souls of former Deputy Speaker Dr. Mrs Ashraf Abbasi, Mian Gul Auragzeb, martyrs of Palestine, Pak Army soldiers, father of Sufyan Yusuf, young pilot Haris Suleman and his father.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for an hour and 50 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1045 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours, witnessing a delay of 15 minutes.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire sitting as the Chairman was absent.
- Twenty-one senators were present at the outset, 30 at the adjournment while a maximum of 41 at one point during the proceedings.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, JUI-F, ANP, PkMAP and NP attended the sitting.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Three members applied for leave.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was absent.
- The Senate unanimously passed a resolution against Israeli aggression in Gaza.
- Chairman Senate Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs presented a report of the committee.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine members of various political parties spoke on an resolution condemning the Israeli aggression against innocent Palestinians. The PML-N members spoke for 15 minutes, while the PPPP lawmakers took 9 minutes, MQM 8, BNP 5, ANP 4, PkMAP and PML 3 minutes each while an Independent member spoke for four minutes.
- ANP lawmaker moved a privilege motion against the staff of the Cantonment Board which was referred to the House committee.
Order and Institutionalization
- The entire opposition staged a walkout against the imposition of Article 245 in the Islamabad Capital Territory.
- Lawmakers raised 4 points of order consuming 28 minutes of the proceedings
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization; a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and rejected the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020 with majority vote, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 15, 2020: The Senate referred two FATF-related bills to the relevant committees and debated the motorway gang-rape incident, observes Free and Fair Election…