ISLAMABAD, April 15, 2015: The fourth sitting of the Senate’s ongoing session was cut short due to the demise of ANP Senator Muhammad Azam Khan Hoti on Wednesday, says the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The sitting started at its scheduled time with 20 legislators (19%) present at the start and 48 (46%) at the time of adjournment. The House adopted a resolution to mourn the lawmaker’s death, following which nine senators (two each from PML-N, MQM and PPPP and one each from ANP, PML-F, JUI-F) spoke for 34 minutes and paid tribute to the lawmaker.
The House left its entire agenda unaddressed due to the suspension of proceedings. The agenda included five legislative bills (including the Islamabad Capital Territory Local Government Bill 2015), the 2012-13 annual report of the Council of Common Interests, a calling attention notice (CAN) regarding the decision to repatriate commercial councilors posted abroad and admissibility of an adjournment motion regarding a bomb planted near a former lawmaker’s residence.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for 51 minutes.
- The sitting started at its scheduled time of 1015 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 49 minutes.
- The Opposition Leader was absent.
- 20 senators (19%) were present at the start and 48 (46%) at the end of the sitting.
- A maximum of 51 senators (49%) were present at one point of the sitting
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-F, PPPP, MQM, JUI-F, ANP, BNP-M, PTI and PML-N were present.
- Two minority members were present.
- None of the members applied for leave.
- The House did not consider any agenda item due to the demise of a sitting senator.
- The House adopted a resolution moved by the PML-N’s parliamentary leader to mourn the demise of Azam Khan Hoti.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine senators (two each from PML-N, MQM and PPPP and one each from ANP, PML-F, JUI-F) spoke for 34 minutes and paid tribute to the deceased lawmaker.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
Correction: An earlier version of this factsheet mistakenly missed the adoption of the resolution during the sitting. The error is regretted
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and in no way reflect the views of the European Union. This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2021: The Senate passed three government bills on Friday which were considered in the House as supplementary business amid protest…
ISLAMABAD, July 14, 2021: The Senate took up 83 percent of its agenda on Wednesday and consumed 42 percent of the proceedings in points of…
ISLAMABAD, July 13, 2021: The Senate transacted 90 percent of its agenda on Tuesday and referred a government bill to the relevant committee, observes Free…