ISLAMABAD, April 15, 2016: The Senate on Friday transacted most of its agenda appearing on ‘Order of the Day’ during 2nd sitting of its 127th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in the House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and 46 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1032 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The House took a two-minute break for prayer call.
- The Deputy Chairman chaired the sitting for two hours and 12 minutes while rest of the proceeding was presided over by a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Opposition Leader was not present.
- 20 members (19%) were present at the start and 25 (24%) at the end of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-F, BNP-M, PPPP, MQM, PML-N, PTI, JUI-F and PML attended the sitting.
- Two minority members were present.
- The House witnessed introduction of the Corporate Restructuring Companies Bill, 2016 which was referred to the relevant committee for further deliberation.
- Four Standing Committees presented reports on matters referred to them. These matters on various interventions were about details of persons presently working in Ministry of Law and Justice and its attached departments; conversion of 1400 acres land of National Agricultural Research Council into residential/commercial plots; examination of facts and figures reported by the custom authorities about import and export from Iran and proposed construction of the Cantonment at Khawazakhela Swat.
- Annual report of Federal Public Service Commission for the year 2014 and the Second Quarterly Report for the year 2015-2016 of the Central Board of Directors of the State Bank of Pakistan on the state of the Economy were also presented.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed a motion under Rule 218 about revelations made in Panama Leaks relating to a number of important personalities/dignitaries of Pakistan. Seven lawmakers including Minister for Finance spoke on it for 63 minutes.
- Sixteen out of 27 starred questions appearing on Orders of the Day were taken up and responded to by the relevant ministries/departments. In addition, the legislators raised 32 supplementary questions during the sitting.
- A CAN about Pakistani businessmen stranded at Moscow Air Port was taken up which was responded to by the Minister for Commerce.
- Another CAN about leftover portion of eight kilometers of Khanpur road by NHA could not be taken up due to absence of mover.
- The House passed a motion seeking extension of sixty working days with effect from April 25, 2016 for presentation of report on the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2016 [omission of Article 182].
Order and Institutionalization
- A Point of Order consumed three minutes of the sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Senate Discusses Economic Situation, Gilgit-Baltistan Elections Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed economic situation of the country and recently held…
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…