ISLAMABAD, April 14, 2016: The Senate passed one bill and witnessed introduction of two bills during the first sitting of its 127th session on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Thirty-two lawmakers (31%) were present at the start of the sitting and 21 (20%) at the time of adjournment. A newly elected PML-N Senator took oath.
The following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in the House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and 31 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1706 hours against the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The House had a prayer break for 23 minutes.
- The Deputy Chairman chaired the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Opposition Leader was present for two hours and nine minutes.
- 32 members (31%) were present at the start and 21 (20%) at the end of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, BNP-M, PML-F, PPPP, PML-N, MQM, JUI-F and PML attended the sitting.
- Two minority members were present.
- The House passed the Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- A copy of the Money Bill, the Members, Election Commission (Salary, Allowances, perks and Privileges) Bill, 2016 was presented in the House and the Chair asked the members to submit their recommendations.
- The House witnessed presentation of the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (Amendment) Bill, 2016 and the National Energy Efficiency and Conservation Bill, 2016. Both bills were referred to the relevant committees for further deliberations.
- Special report of the Standing Committee on Finance about privatization of Heavy Electrical Complex (HEC) could not be presented after objections raised by the members of this committee. The Chair announced to decide about this matter on April 18.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine out of 32 starred questions appearing on Orders of the Day were taken up and responded to by the relevant ministries/departments. In addition, the legislators raised 29 supplementary questions during the sitting.
- Two CANs about discontinuation of Prime Minister’s Scholarship Program depriving the students of Balochistan to study in higher educational institutions and involvement of National Police Foundation in china cutting were taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- Four POs consumed four minutes of the sitting.
- PPPP lawmakers walked out of the House for four minutes over unsatisfactory reply to a starred question.
- Entire Opposition walked out of the House for 33 minutes when the Chair did not allow the Chairman Standing Committee on Finance to present special report about privatization of Heavy Electrical Complex (HEC).
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…
ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed the Presidential Ordinance related to the Sindh and Balochistan islands and rights guaranteed to the provinces…