- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2018: The Sindh Assembly adopted a resolution on Monday condemning the remarks against the Parliament at a public rally in Lahore, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during eighth (last) sitting of the 37th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 15 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for three minutes due to Azaan.
- The sitting started at 1134 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for two hours and 36 minutes while the Deputy Speaker presided over the rest of the proceedings.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) attended the sitting for 55 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 16 minutes.
- As many as 32 (19%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 44 (26%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F, PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were also present.
- Two members applied for leave.
- The House adopted a resolution to condemn the remarks against the Parliament at a public rally in Lahore.
- The House deferred the Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto University of Law, Karachi (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up all five Starred Questions for answers during the Question Hour. The lawmakers asked 21 supplementary questions as well.
- The House took up four Call Attention Notices (CANs) regarding nutrition deficiency in Tharparkar; steps to revive Karachi Circular Railway Project; business of sub-standard drinks in Karachi and poor drainage system in UC Buharo, Mirpur Sakro.
- A CAN regarding delay in K-IV Project was not taken up due to absence of movers
- The Chair rejected an Adjournment motion of a PML-F lawmaker regarding illegal registration and tax evasion through faulty software system at department of excise and taxation, Sindh.
- A PPPP lawmaker withdrew her privilege motion against PTI leadership.
- The House deferred debate on a motion regarding water issue.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two points of order consumed seven minutes of the proceedings.
- PTI lawmakers protested for two minutes against the announcement of the Chair for `unanimously adopting’ the resolution against their leadership over remarks against the Parliament.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 25, 2021: The Sindh Assembly’s 17th session was prorogued sine die on Monday without transacting any business, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh could not address most of its agenda on Monday due to the protest of treasury and…
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and took up five Call Attention Notices (CANs) on Friday, observes Free…