ISLAMABAD, August 26, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted most of the business appearing on its orders of the day on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 28th sitting of the fifth session:
- The House met for two hours and 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1615 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leaders of the House and Opposition did not attend the proceedings.
- As many as 57 MPAs (34%) were present at outset and 54 (32%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of TLP, MMAP, PTI, GDA and PPPP attended the proceedings.
- Five out of nine minority lawmakers attended the proceedings.
- The Minister for Information introduced the Sindh Advisors (Appointments, Power, Functions, Salaries, Allowances and Privileges (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up five out of seven starred questions related to Excise, Taxation and Narcotics Control Department. In addition, the lawmakers asked 36 supplementary questions.
- The Ministers concerned responded to three out of five Calling Attention Notices on agenda. The addressed notices were about issuance of offer letter to the successful candidates for job in EPI Heath Department, increasing crime rate in the city, and non-functional building of a medical college in Korangi, Karachi.
- An Adjournment Motion, moved by PTI lawmaker, regarding sale of Dadu sugar mill was termed ‘non-admissible’ by the Chair.
- A Privilege Motion, moved as supplementary agenda by PTI lawmaker, was withdrawn by its mover after the assurances given by the concerned Minister. Two lawmakers spoke on it for eleven minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Five lawmakers spoke on points of order consuming 15 minutes of the proceedings.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on August 27, 2019 (Tuesday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 26, 2021: The Balochistan Assembly could not take up its legislative agenda on Tuesday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, January 26, 2021: The Punjab Assembly adopted three private members’ resolutions and deferred half of its agenda on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, January 26, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Tuesday and started discussion on the presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and…